Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Poland, a bit of Germany, and a lot of mail!

You can imagine, how lazy I have been, if I tell you it has taken me 2 weeks to upload the pictures from my latest trip to my FB! But I knew I had to do it before I start traveling again, otherwise they'd stay on my camera forever. But let me tell you about this secret trip a bit ;) Why do I call it a secret trip? Because almost nobody knew that I went to Poland, I just wasn't in the right mood to post anything and felt powerless for most of the time. Still, that was great to meet Søren and hopefully I managed to show him some nice places in the country of my origin. And one place in Germany :) We were traveling together between 10th and 17th of April and then I stayed in Poland for two more days with my mum.
On the beach in Gdańsk
One interesting thing that I've noticed while uploading my photos yesterday is that basically they're all from Gdańsk and from Görlitz/Zgorzelec, although we've visited many more places. As far as it's kind of understandable that I haven't taken a lot of pictures in the towns, where my relatives live, as I've been there for hundreds of time, lack of pictures from places like Warsaw is a bit weird. Probably they just weren't inspiring enough to make me look for my camera in my bag! :P I'm generally not the biggest fan of Poland, you know? ;)
Gdańsk
But I must admit I really loved Gdańsk. I had been there before, but that was ages ago, so I couldn't really remember much and therefore it felt like visiting a completely new place. I've noticed that I can actually have a very positive attitude to those places in Poland that aren't related to any negative events from my past. I'm glad about it, because it would be a pity to feel bad towards the whole country, whose passport I still have and which I'm going to keep, even if just for practical reasons. An even bigger surprise was that I actually liked the Baltic Sea, which I used to hate as a child, because the seaside holidays were always too long and way too boring. But going there for a couple of days in April felt completely different! We obviously went swimming and perhaps have already became famous, because there was someone taking a video of us :D
Gdańsk
To Søren Gdańsk looked a bit like Copenhagen. To me it looked more like some German city (which actually is partly true if you consider Gdańsk's history), but in any case it's a truly beautiful place. We also went to Sopot, which is a famous Polish seaside resort just next to Gdańsk, but, to be completely honest and direct, it just looked kitsch to me. I hope I haven't offended any Polish people, if they're reading my blog ;)

Later we spent 2 days with my grandfather, who lives just a bit more than 100 km away from Gdańsk and who was celebrating his 85th birthday. Well, in fact he wasn't celebrating - I'm just like him in this matter ;) But we had a really nice time together and I'm glad I could be there on his special day.
View from the railway bridge in Görlitz/Zgorzelec
The next stop during our trip was supposed to be Wrocław, the city where I was born (but I don't call it my home city), but I'm a totally disorganized (or you can call it spontaneous!) ;) person also when it comes to traveling, so we changed our plans in the last minute and went to Görlitz/Zgorzelec, which is a town at the Polish-German border. The bigger part of it, including the historic center, is in Germany and is called Görlitz. The Polish part, which is smaller and has two totally demolished railway stations, is called Zgorzelec. Normal people can cross the border through a pedestrian bridge in the town center, but we're far from being normal people, so we decided to run to Germany through the railway bridge! :D I don't know, whether it's actually allowed or not, but we felt almost like illegal immigrants and I was afraid that a train would suddenly come ;) Oh yes, why do things the normal way, if you can get so many extra emotions instead?!
On the normal, boring bridge
But, as you can see, we've also been on the pedestrian bridge and have even taken a border photo ;) I've always had a really soft spot for borders and therefore I also have good childhood memories from this place. I went there for the first time with my dad back in 2002, when there was still an actual border crossing. Nowadays the border is obviously open, but it still looks a bit like a boundary between the East and West.
Görlitz
Apart from being an international town, Görlitz is also just a very nice and historic place, so I think it was the right decision to go there instead of Wrocław. Of course, we might have seen much more of Poland if I only hadn't been so lazy and tired all the time, but there always should be some reason to come back right? And I'm glad that we actually also had a lot of time for long conversations, which are much more important than sightseeing.

We've also spent two days in Opole with my mother and the other grandpa and then we've done something really scary... or exciting... It all depends on your attitude ;)
Ryanaring!
Yeah, flying! Believe it or not, nowadays the domestic flights in Poland are cheaper than trains or buses, so we've taken them twice: first from Warsaw to Gdańsk and then from Wrocław to Warsaw. We've also taken my mum on the 2nd flight with us, because she's always very excited about taking a plane and it's great when you can please someone so much for just 2 euros! :D And for me... it was the cheapest aviaphobia therapy ever! :D During the first flight I got scared of the landing. During the 2nd one I thought we were falling, because the descend started right after we reached the right altitude. Nevermind, that the whole flight was supposed to last 30 minutes, I thought we were going to crash anyway... I wonder, if I'll ever get rid of this stupid aviaphobia totally?

I got back to Ukraine on 20th April at night, just hours before my first exam, which is just usual for me ;) I fortunately feel better now, although there are still a lot of things making me feel nervous and insecure... But at least now I can see some light and my thoughts are much brighter. This has also had a positive effect on my letter writing, but let's start with the incoming mail:
From Brigitta in Hungary
A lovely letter from my Hungarian friend Brigitta :) She's one of those amazing and precious people, who keep on writing to me despite having seen me in real life! I think this time I'll have to write her a page in Hungarian... ;)
From Bahanur in Turkey
My previous letter to Bahanur got lost, but she was kind enough to write me a great extra letter in a wonderful handmade envelope! One thing I know for sure is that I'll never send her a letter from Poland again ;) The Ukrainian postal service may be slower, but seems to be more reliable and has prettier stamps! :D
From Jennifer in UK
Finally, a really cool letter came from Jennifer today and will (probably) be the last piece of my incoming mail in April, unless I find something unexpected in my mailbox tomorrow :)

And here comes the outgoing mail:
For Tessa in the Netherlands
This letter to Tessa started traveling on Sunday. Or on Monday. But I did what I could to send it out before 15:00 on Sunday ;)
For Tündi in UK
An extreme letter for my extreme penpal Tündi started traveling on Tuesday :) I managed to type 30 pages for her within just 2 days, I wish I was writing my MA thesis so quickly! ;)
For Maude in France
Today I've been writing very effectively (in the office... that's what happens, when I don't get enough work) and have sent two letters. The first one goes to Maude in France :)
For Anastasia in Ukraine
And the 2nd one goes to Anastasia in Ukraine, so I've had some linguistic diversity, which is very important in translator's work! :P Okay, just kidding. But I really enjoy writing in the office, and I don't even know why. As you can see, I've sent more letters than I've received, so let's keep on believing in the legend... One day I'll catch up! I promise! ;)

1 comment:

  1. It would be great to meet you one day in Poland :) I enjoyed reading about your adventures - as always. You are often in my thoughts, dear Ksenia! And I
    m head over heels in love with watching pictures of your wonderful mail! Huuugs <3

    ReplyDelete